Friday, April 6, 2012

thinking....

     I've heard different opinions on visiting gravesites and keeping flowers in their vases, etc. Because I am a firm believer in Christ and His Word, I do believe my loved ones are in Heaven. Yes, their bodies are buried but their souls are in Heaven. So, why do I keep my loved ones' graves pretty? I can't answer that because, it honestly doesn't make sense. That person isn't there. Several months before my "Meme" passed away, we were putting flowers on Her Mother's grave. She made me promise that I would keep her gravestone pretty when she passed. Of course I promised her I would. My Sister can barely go to the Cemetery. But for me, it's comforting. It's something I honestly cannot explain. I was once told by someone that they didn't understand why I was so into taking pictures of new flowers put in the vases and etc. I couldn't give her a good reason. She said it shouldn't matter because that person is in Heaven. Part of me wants to make sense of why I do what I do. Opinions?


xoxo.

2 comments:

  1. You do it because it would make her happy and because it makes you happy to do it for her...a way to still include her in all the holidays, the changing seasons and to somehow grasp just a moment of her by having conversation while you're there. You do it because you love her....and because you know she would do the same for you...because she was, still is, and will always be your MeMe. Thank you Ashton for making me think about this. I guess this is why I love to go visit my Mom and bring her new flowers, so it might answer your question too. The cemetery is a very peaceful place, especially when you know your loved ones are safe in heaven. Even tho you know their soul is not there in that grave, it's a good meeting place just in case they can look down and see or pop in for a short visit. I think God might just allow that to happen at times when we need it too. Sometimes I even visit with people I don't know as I am walking back to my car and wonder what happened to them, or what kind of life they had here on earth, lol, just in case nobody comes to see them so they can know someone still thinks of them. Yes, everybody probably thinks your dear old Aunt Janet is crazy but that's ok. I love you Ashton!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right. Thank you for leaving this comment. It brings more sense to me as to why I do what I do. Some people think it's crazy that I go to the cemetery as often as I do but, it does somehow bring me peace and comfort. I look at other graves as well and when I see a vase knocked over or flowers knocked over, Ill pick them up. Sometimes I think to myself "I should work at a cemetery". I would love to walk around and make the flowers pretty and whatnot. I don't care who thinks it's crazy. I went the other night to check to see if the solar lights were still working. It's not "freaky" to me to go at night. I recently won a small windchime at a Bridal Shower and I decided to hang it on the tree next to my Meme's grave. I love you Aunt Janet! I am blessed to have you in my life. :)

    ReplyDelete