Saturday, June 9, 2012

Dad

     My Parents divorced when I was two. I do remember my Mom packing up the house to move. I remember because my Mom got us McDonald's for dinner. Brooks' chicken nuggets weren't all the way cooked. It's crazy what we remember and what we never knew happened. My Father remarried to my Stepmother and they have been married ever since. My Dad worked at the Sheriff's Office and took on a couple extra jobs. We didn't get to see him much due to him working on the weekends. When he came home before it was bedtime, he would cuddle with us and we would lay with him on the couch and watch t.v. He made time to show us by his actions that he cared and loved us.

    My Mom re-married when I was six. We moved away. Every summer I went to Pensacola to see my Dad. I'll never forget the exit where my parents met halfway to drop us off/pick us up. Fort Deposit, Alabama. I HATE that BP gas station still to this day. Leaving the gas station was heartbreaking. I was leaving my Mom when I was going to my Dad's and I was leaving my Dad when I was going back with my Mom. It was absolutely devastating. My ex stepfather took part in my life and I soon called him "Dad". He coached my swim team, basketball team, and softball teams. He helped me with homework and kept us in church. I give thanks to him for keeping our family in church because later in life, I would become a born again Christian.

     Sadly, my Mother & Bill divorced after 4 years and we relocated back to Pensacola. I had to start life over again in the 5th grade. I felt like something was missing from my life. I was young, immature, and didn't understand things as well as I do now. I had yearned for a stronger relationship with my Dad. I didn't know what to do or how to obtain it.

     My Dad signed up to go overseas. His duty was to train the Afghan Police. Little did I know, this would be a life changing event. Because of EMAIL, I now have the relationship I have always yearned to have with my Father. He has always put a smile on my face and I always knew he cared. But now, my Father is my Hero. He truly is. I love my Mama to death. She has been there through thick and thin and has played the father figure many times. But now, I have a Mom and a DAD.

     It's crazy that at the age of 25, I now have the relationship I wanted my whole life. It's ironic that it took my Dad going to a place of war to build a relationship that now means the world to me. We emailed almost everyday. The Lord works in mysterious ways. and although the strong bond has recently occurred, I wouldn't change a thing.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment